Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Our basketball adventures of the winter...

Well where to begin... as many of you know I, Dave, have enjoyed playing basketball for years. I am not a great player by any sense of the imagination, but I enjoy a good game. I usually played on Saturday mornings with some friends to keep myself in half-decent shape during the school semesters. Back in December I woke up one Saturday to do just that and little did I know that I would be playing in a game, I will never forget, and if I do... we have pictures to remind me. I was playing defense and proceeded to block the shooters elbow with my face. I know he wasn't expecting that quick defensive maneuver and so I proceeded to fall to the floor allowing him time to adjust to my defensive skills. I later realized that by blocking his elbow with my face, something I didn't anticipate happened. I thought nothing of it until Kristen told me we should go to the urgent care center at BYU. The Dr. there told us that nothing was wrong and I should just take it easy. I took his advice until later when I went to blow my nose and had a new sensation ... my face blew up like a balloon. I figured this was no problem, maybe other people have this too, right? After talking to another Dr. at the ER, I decided that might not be true. We were told that my face was broken and the bone under my eye had 3 fractures. It took some time to heal, but it did and everything is fine.



Later in January, I played intramurals with some friends and we ended up playing in the Division 3 playoffs. We had a relatively small team, but we were defensively minded and won some tight games despite forgetting how to make lay-ups. We made it to the championship game and our offensive and defensive leaders played great. We won that game and many of us earned our first championship shirt at BYU.

No comments: